James Wong of the hit TV program "Grow your Own Drugs" recipe for cucumber eye gel soothes sore, puffy eyes:
• 1 small cucumber, chopped
• 1 aloe vera leaf
• 1 sachet vegetable gelatine
• 50ml distilled extract of witch hazel BP
• 1 white tea teabag
• 3 drops peppermint essential oil
|aloe vera plant|
1. Roughly chop the cucumber. Peel and slice the aloe leaf to extract its gel. Put the cucumber and aloe gel into a blender and process until smooth. Strain the mix through a sieve to extract the juice. Measure out 100 ml of the strained juice and set aside.
2. Add the witch hazel to a pan, whisk in the gelatine and add the teabag. Gently heat the mixture until it just starts to thicken. As the mixture cools, take out the teabag, then whisk in the cucumber and aloe juice mixture and the peppermint oil.
3. Bottle up the gel in a sterilised, airtight pump dispenser.
USE: Apply to the eye area before bed, then wash off in the morning.
STORAGE: Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
Extract from Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies and Beauty Treats by James Wong.
Published by HarperCollins.